We spent five nights in London just after our wedding and tried to eat at as many Michelin star restaurants as possible. Our highlight though was a lunch at the Fat Duck. We went there in June 2012 just after our wedding.
The Fat Duck has been on the Best Restaurants in the World list for over 11 years. So the expectations were high!
What can I say… It was an amazing experience!
We caught the train from London to Maidenhead and then took a taxi to Bray on Thames – which only took about 15 minutes. We got there a bit early, so we went to The Hind’s head – a small pub next door.
If you don’t know any better, you would miss the restaurant. Settled in between a row of small houses,the 16th century cottage looks nothing special from the outside
Now to the menu. Where do I start. It was an Alice in Wonderland / Mad Hatter’s Tea Party themed menu and words can’t describe the food experience we had – a multi-sensory experience and one of the most unique meals I ever had!
The menu was £220 per person for the 14 course tasting menu and the experience was worth every penny!
Here’s what we had:
- NITRO POACHED APERITIFS
- Vodka and Lime Sour, Gin and Tonic, Tequila and Grapefruit
- RED CABBAGE GAZPACHO
- Pommery Grain Mustard Ice Cream
- JELLY OF QUAIL, CRAYFISH CREAM
- Oak Moss and Truffle Toast
- SNAIL PORRIDGE
- Iberico Bellota Ham, Shaved Fennel
- Birch Syrup, Bergamot and Coral Royale
- MAD HATTER’S TEA PARTY (c.1892)
- Mock Turtle Soup, Pocket Watch and Toast Sandwich
- “SOUND OF THE SEA”
- SALMON POACHED IN A LIQUORICE GEL
- Artichoke, Vanilla Mayonnaise and Golden Trout Roe
- UMBLE PIE
HOT AND ICED TEA
EGGS IN VERJUS (c.1726), VERJUS IN EGG (c.2013)
WHISK(E)Y WINE GUM
“LIKE A KID IN A SWEET SHOP”